As we creep up on these dates and the predictive health models have changed, we believe that we are in a better position now to make adjustments to the dates of our Special Events. While our goal is to make these adjustments once, there is no guarantee that we won’t have to shift things further.
- As we now know, the Governor has made the recommendation to not re-open schools for this year. When he made this announcement, he did make a point to mention that he wanted schools to focus on final events and ceremonies. In doing that, there are many things to consider.
- First, these new dates will be aligned with the Governor’s extended “Stay at Home” order that is due to expire on April 30.
- Next, we will also continue to review local medical data to evaluate our county’s health trends.
- Last, social distancing considerations will have to be made in these events. This will make things look different and will undoubtedly limit usual access. It require everyone’s understanding and cooperation.
- Prom (****Update 4/29/2020 - Now Cancelled. Will not be rescheduled****) has been rescheduled for Saturday, May 16 at Scott High School. Additional information regarding tickets and times will be released as we get closer to that date. Now, remember there are many things about this situation that we can’t control. We cannot control business, shipping, or availability restrictions. These are details that each student will have to manage on his/her own. There is no “dress code” for this event. Tuxedoes and sequins have never been required! It’s nice, but not necessary to be a part of this event. Let’s make the best of what we can control and focus on enjoying time together!
- Senior Awards Banquet will be combined with Graduation Ceremonies. There will not be a separate event for this. We want to limit everyone’s exposure as much as possible AND recognize our students. By making this concession, it will allow us to do both. Now, we still need information from EVERY SENIOR to do this…
*IMPORTANT – ALL SENIORS – SEND THE FOLLOWING EMAIL IMMEDIATELY…
*Please send these emails in regular type/text format. Do not send pictures as they aren’t compatible with all devices being used at home. If you aren’t sure what information to send, simply email the designated person above, and she will send you instructions.*
- Athletic Banquet will be rescheduled for a later date after Graduation. More information on this event in the coming weeks.
- Baccalaureate will not be held at SHS this year. Instead, we will be asking local assemblies to host special Seniors Services within their own churches to create smaller gatherings and reduce exposure to a large crowd. Personally, this breaks my heart more than anything else. However, there are several barriers to changing this event. Given the size of our Senior Class, one large gathering (Graduation) will be all we can risk.
- Graduation is rescheduled for Friday, May 22 at 6:30pm in the SHS gym. In order host an in-person event, we will unfortunately have to institute some attendance restrictions. There will be more specific details on this later in the week and on digital ways to attend the event. While this is not something we want to do, we believe it is the responsible decision at this point. This may change, but we want families to be prepared. Again, more details will follow in the coming weeks about things like cap & gowns and practice.
I MISS YOU HIGHLANDERS!!